2020 Golden Hammer Awards
The Golden Hammer Awards were started in 2000 with a goal of honoring excellence in neighborhood revitalization projects throughout Greater Richmond. Last year Historic Richmond partnered with Storefront for Community Design to host the Awards. Over 30 projects were submitted and 11 winners were announced in the categories of Best Adaptive Reuse, Best New Construction, Best Placemaking, Best Residential, and Best Restoration.
Who will win a Golden Hammer?
Projects must have been completed after January 1, 2019. All projects nominated must be located in the greater Richmond area (City of Richmond, Counties of Chesterfield, Hanover, and Henrico). One entry per project. There will be an application fee of $50 for businesses and $5 for nonprofit and single family entries.
Entries must be received by midnight on September 13.
1. Best Restoration: Includes restoration by a homeowner, contractor, or developer. Includes historic tax credit projects.
- 405 E. Grace St – The Honey Shop
- 909 W. Franklin St- The Scott House – Golden Hammer Winner!
- 2025 Monument Ave – The Straus
- 1208 N. Arthur Ashe Blvd – Midas of Richmond – Golden Hammer Winner!
- 4603 Sulgrave Road – Garland
2. Best Adaptive Reuse: Includes projects that were rehabilitated for a new use, multi-family residential and historic tax credit projects welcome.
- 300 E. Main St – St. Alban’s Building
- 609 Bowe St – The Bowe St. Deck Batting Cages
- 1000 Westover – Maymont Foundation Headquarters
- 1722 Arlington Rd – McKinnon and Harris – Golden Hammer Winner!
- 2000 W. Marshall St – Singlestone
- 2112 Monteiro Ave – Barton Mansion – Golden Hammer Winner!
- 2220 Stockton St – CARITAS Center – Special Social and Community Impact Golden Hammer Winner!
3. Best New Construction: Includes neighborhood infill.
- 500 Bainbridge St – City View Marketplace
- 701 N. 1st St – The Van de Vyver and The Rosa
- 5001 Libbie Mill E. Blvd – Penstock Quarter – Libbie Mill
- 11500 Midlothian Turnpike – Island Shrimp Co. – Golden Hammer Winner!
- 2415 Everett St – Shipping Container House
- 2901 Monument Ave, 708 N. Colonial Ave, & 712 N. Colonial Ave – The Townhomes at Monument and Colonial
- 1903-1905 Greenwood Ave
- 2308 Idlewood Ave
- 2409-2411 Park Ave – Kensington Park – Golden Hammer Winner!
4. Best Placemaking: Arts and culture projects, park and green-space projects, transportation and infrastructure projects, or other neighborhood enhancing features.
- 200 N. Arthur Ashe Blvd – Rumors of War – Golden Hammer Winner!
- 621 S. Belvidere St. – C. Kenneth Wright Pavilion – Virginia War Memorial Expansion
- 3401-3403 Moore St. – Scott’s Addition Pocket Park
- History is Illuminating – Golden Hammer Winner!
5. Best Residential: Single-family residential projects.
- 1517 Palmyra Ave
- 3305Main St. – The Hathaway House
- 1203 Idlewood Ave
- 2314 Burton St – Golden Hammer Winner!