Byrd Park Pump House, 1708 Pump House Drive
Year Built: 1882
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
Located in Pump House/Three Mile Lock Park
This stone building served two purposes: as a pumping station to take water from the James River to the Byrd Park reservoir and as an open-air, public dance hall. The dance floor was located on the second floor above the pump room. Canal boats once brought revelers to the Pump House for parties. The park is located among the country’s oldest canals. Located in the Three Mile Lock Park is the “Lower Arch,” the entrance to the first operating canal system in the United States. The park is open to the public but the building is closed.