SHOCKOE VALLEY DISTRICT
18TH ST TO 21ST ST AND MARSHALL ST TO FRANKLIN ST
- The settlement of Shockoe, named after the creek that bordered Richmond to the west, sprang up around Col. William Byrd’s warehouse in the mid 18th century. Shockoe Valley’s deep economic roots are seen in its huge tobacco warehouses, factories, shop fronts, and the 17th Street Market. Neglected warehouses and buildings have been renovated and the area has become a hub for restaurants, nightlife, apartments, and businesses.
BETWEEN EAST MAIN ST AND EAST CARY ST AND 16TH ST AND 26TH ST
- A collection of tobacco warehouses and cigarette factories located along the Richmond dock, which is now part of the restored canal system. Buildings date from 1886 to 1929. Most have been converted into apartments, offices, and retail space.