St. John’s Church District
21ST STREET TO 32ND AND EAST BROAD STREET TO EAST FRANKLIN STREETS.
- The center of Richmond’s first historic district, St. John’s Church was the first church built in the city. William Byrd II, founder of the city of Richmond, donated the land and timber to build the church. It was completed in 1741.
- Church Hill is the oldest intact neighborhood in the city and contains the most antebellum structures in Richmond.
- The historic district was established in 1957 through the efforts of Historic Richmond.