We are watchdogs and cheerleaders, celebrating success and proactively addressing topical issues and immediate concerns. Our goal is to engage the community in caring about and for our distinctive built environment: past, present, and future.
Fulton Gas Works
The City of Richmond is about to demolish a rare and irreplaceable historic resource! Fulton Gas Works operated for nearly 120 years, providing gas to illuminate and heat Richmond from a site near Rocketts Landing.
North Jackson Ward Vision Plan
The Richmond Land Bank invites the public to learn about and participate in the North Jackson Ward Vision Plan: Building on the Past to Create a Vision for the Future. This brief engagement process funded by the Richmond Land Bank and Historic Richmond aims to create a vision plan with a set of community values and visuals that will guide the future development for 20 properties in North Jackson Ward. For more information on the North Jackson Ward Vision plan, Historic Richmond's full draft narrative for the project, and the survey on how you envision the future of the neighborhood click “read more.”
Monroe Ward Zoning
The City has initiated rezoning of Monroe Ward in an effort to facilitate the revitalization of Monroe Ward. We at Historic Richmond support the revitalization of Monroe Ward through a combination of infill on vacant lots and the preservation, restoration and adaptive reuse of Monroe Ward’s significant existing historic structures. BUT – We do not believe that the latest proposals ensure adequate protections for the existing historic architectural fabric in Monroe Ward.
The Westhampton School buildings include a 1917 two-story red brick Colonial Revival building designed by Benjamin West Poindexter and Marcellus E. Wright Associated Architects and a 1930 building designed by Raymond Victor Long. The Westhampton School served as a Henrico County public school until the area was annexed by the City of Richmond in 1942 and then served as a City school. From 1990 until 2009, the buildings were home to the Richmond Community High School.
General Assembly Building
The General Assembly Building at the corner of Broad and Ninth Streets, facing Capitol Square, reflects the last century of architectural evolution of public architecture of downtown Richmond, considered by some to be the finest assemblage of 20th century architecture in downtown Richmond.
A Tale of Two Armories
Three of Richmond’s five civic armories have been demolished and now only two remain: the Leigh Street Armory and the Blues Armory. Both have sat vacant for several decades. Recently, the Leigh Street Armory was restored and became the Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia, while the status of the Blues Armory remains uncertain. Our vision for Richmond includes a fully restored Blues Armory serving as a catalyst to spark revitalization in an important Downtown district, just as the Black History Museum recently has sparked revitalization in Jackson Ward.
Robinson & Cary Street Trolley Barns
The history of the Robinson & Cary Street Trolley Barns reflects Richmond’s economic, social and land use development. Advances in transportation by the streetcar were so influential in Richmond’s development that neighborhood expansion patterns can be credited to the electric streetcar lines.