• Photo by Jeff Satterthwaite


The Pilot Block, 2300 Block East Broad Street

District: St. John’s Church

The block chosen for Historic Richmond’s Church Hill revitalization program in 1956 was given the name “the pilot block.” Within ten years, all of the buildings in the block bounded by 23rd, 24th Broad and Grace streets were restored. It clearly illustrates the variety of styles found within the neighborhood.