William H. Grant House

Buildings we love: William H. Grant House, 1857

1008 E. Clay Street

This Italianate mansion, featuring cast-iron hoods over windows, marble steps and an elaborate entrance porch, was built by tobacco merchant William H. Grant. It became Sheltering Arms Hospital in 1894 and is now used as offices by Medical College of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University.