Buildings we love

Gateway Corridor Revitalization- UPDATE!

Dec 18, 2019

Earlier this year we announced the details of our new partnership with project:HOMES and the City of Richmond to rehabilitate three historic homes for affordable housing in Southern Barton Heights. As the year comes to an end, we are excited to reflect back on the progress: In the first quarter of the year, we met…

Read More

East Stairwell of Monumental Church

Aug 3, 2018

The East Stairwell of Monumental Church has a fresh coat of paint! This stunning color  from Benjamin Moore is called Mochachino and was recently painted by H.J. Hotlz and Son. Click here to see the East Stairwell!  

Read More

Faux Graining: The Doors of Monumental Church

May 30, 2018

We are excited to present the completed faux graining to the inner sanctuary doors at Monumental Church! In 2017 Black Creek Workshop completed a paint analysis and reveal of the original faux graining on the doors at Monumental Church dating from 1814. From that sample, (that can still be seen on the west portico doors)…

Read More

Buildings We Love: St. Luke Building

Feb 5, 2018

St. Luke Building 902 St. James Street Edwardian style architecture “The original part of this building was constructed in 1903 to house one of many fraternal and self-help organizations for blacks that arose around 1900. Under the leadership of Richmond’s charismatic African American banker, Maggie Walker, the Independent Order of St. Luke quickly outgrew its…

Read More

Buildings We Love: Old City Hall

Sep 13, 2017

Old City Hall, 1887-1894 1001 E. Broad St High Victorian Gothic In complete contrast to Jefferson’s calm, classical Capitol, architect Elijah E. Meyers designed this paean to Victorian architecture. The interior is as highly decorated as the exterior and contains cast-iron stairs and arcades made by Richmonder Asa Snyder. Threatened by demolition in the 1970’s,…

Read More

Buildings We Love: Cathedral of the Sacred Heart

Jan 7, 2016

18 North Laurel Street   Built in 1903-1906 in Renaissance Revival Style. This church was built to accommodate the Catholic population that had outgrown St. Peter’s Church on Grace Street. Financier Thomas F. Ryan donated the money for the building, which is made of Virginia granite and Indiana limestone. The interior is highly decorated in…

Read More

Buildings We Love: Kent-Valentine House

Oct 1, 2015

Buildings We Love: 12 East Franklin Street Kent-Valentine House, 1845 Colonial Revival. The house is greatly altered from its original appearance by the addition of the classical portico which replaced the iron veranda. The house retains its carriage house in back and a large yard. Restored in the 1970’s, it is now the headquarters for…

Read More
Monroe Park

Places we love: Monroe Park, 1851

Jun 3, 2015

Between Belvidere, Laurel, W. Franklin, & W. Main Streets The park once served as the State Fairgrounds and housed a military hospital during the Civil War. After the war, the first organized baseball games in Richmond were played here. Today the park is a recreation destination for the neighborhood. The Fan District’s name derives from…

Read More
William H. Grant House

Buildings we love: William H. Grant House, 1857

May 6, 2015

1008 E. Clay Street This Italianate mansion, featuring cast-iron hoods over windows, marble steps and an elaborate entrance porch, was built by tobacco merchant William H. Grant. It became Sheltering Arms Hospital in 1894 and is now used as offices by Medical College of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University.

Read More
Wills House

Buildings we love: Wills House, 1812

Apr 1, 2015

407 N. 27th Street This Federal style building is the oldest house remaining in Church Hill North. It is the largest existing frame house in the district and was the home of a wealthy and prominent merchant, Captain Charles Wills. The survival of many of the original beaded boards is remarkable. The wing now known…

Read More
Ebeneezer Baptist Church

Buildings we love: Ebenezer Baptist Church, 1858

Mar 4, 2015

216 W. Leigh Street This Neoclassical church was an offshoot of the First African Baptist Church at 301 College Street. This structure was built to replace an earlier frame church. The church helped found Hartshorn Memorial College which became part of Virginia Union University. Its spire has been removed.

Read More
Masonic Temple

Buildings we love: Masonic Temple, 1893

Feb 4, 2015

101-107 W. Broad Street Designed by Jackson Gott, this Romanesque Revival style building has upper floors which once contained meeting rooms and a ballroom. The ground floor was occupied by the Woodward & Lothrop department store. It has been converted into apartments and a conference center with businesses on the ground floor.

Read More

Buildings we love: Egyptian Building, 1845

Jan 7, 2015

1223 E. Marshall Street Built in 1845, this Egyptian Revival style building was designed by Thomas Stewart the for Medical Department of Hampden-Sydney College, which later became the Medical College of Virginia. It is considered one of the nation’s best examples of the Egyptian Revival style. The building has remained in continuous use since its completion…

Read More
ldgsweloveHancock-Wirt-Caskie House2

Buildings we love: Hancock-Wirt-Caskie House

Dec 4, 2014

Hancock-Wirt-Caskie House, 2 N. 5th Street. Built in 1808, this Federal style house is an adaptation of a B. Henry Latrobe design and is the last remaining building of its kind. The unique demi-octagonal bays, arcade gallery and detailed interior make this a sophisticated example of early 19th-century residential architecture in Richmond. Owned by the…

Read More

Stay Up-to-Date with Your City.