619 St. Peter Street
Year Built: c. 1900 – 1910
Architectural Style: Italianate
District: Jackson Ward
Historic Richmond has been monitoring this property for several years since the acquisition and rehabilitation of the Meredith House, 133 Jackson Street. In an effort to revitalize the surrounding area of the Leigh Street Armory, future home of the Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia, this is the third property garnering Historic Richmond’s attention.
The 2-story Italianate structure, complete with sawnwork and bracketed eaves, provides continuity of character on the streetscape at this important gateway into Jackson Ward.
Previously, the property owner had been served a notice from the City to prepare a plan of action regarding the property’s code violations. Failure to do so would have result in the building’s referral to the Spot Blight Program, an initiative for the City to take control of the property’s repairs.
The owner recently submitted an application to the Commission of Architectural Review to install new windows on all elevations and infill one window. The Commission approved the application with the condition that the applicant install true divided lite or simulated divided lite Marvin Clad Double Hung 2/2 aluminum clad wood windows. Historic Richmond will continue to monitor the progress of this property.