Quoit Club Membership DriveThursday, March 5, 6 – 8 pm Main Street Station, 1500 E. Main Street
About Main Street Station:
Since its opening day in 1901, Main Street Station has been regarded as one of Richmond’s most renowned buildings. It originally functioned as the train depot and offices for the Chesapeake and Ohio (C & O) and Seaboard Air Line Railroads. Wilson, Harris, and Richards of Philadelphia, a firm that specialized in railroad architecture, designed both the depot building and the attached 400’ long industrial train shed.
Architecturally, Main Street Station ranks as an excellent example of Second Renaissance Revival influenced by the French École des Beaux-Arts (“School of Fine Arts”), of which relatively few examples remain. The large cast iron train shed attached to the rear of the building is industrial and utilitarian in character, but remains impressive as one of the last examples of its age and type in the country.
In 1975, the station closed in due to a decline in passenger rail service. In 1983, concerned about the future of the building, Historic Richmond lobbied congress to fund the City of Richmond for the restoration of the building. The efforts paid off and the restoration of Main Street Station began. Historic Richmond hosted the reopening of the historic station in 2003 marking the culmination of years of renovation to this 114-year-old landmark and the return of passenger train service to downtown Richmond.