Sep 17

Mann-Netherwood Block

Year Built: 1895-1901 Architectural Style: Queen Anne District: St. John’s Church The houses were built by business partners John Mann and James Netherwood. The common garden in the back is owned by the homeowners’ association. Note the cast-iron fence and patterned bricks. In 1975, Historic Richmond purchased 2601-2613. Historic Richmond restored the exteriors, subdivided the property, Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Adams Double House

Year Built: 1809 Architectural Style: Federal District: St. John’s Church The earliest surviving double house in Richmond; built by Dr. John Adams, who helped initiate development in this area through his real estate holdings. The porches are Victorian additions as is the shop entrance in the baseContinue Reading...

Sep 17

Morris Cottage

Year Built: 1830 Architectural Style: Federal District: St. John’s Church This house is one of three cottages built by carpenter John Morris. The two other cottages are also located in this block. Morris lived in the cottage at 207 North 25Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Superior Warehouse

Year Built: c. 1850 Architectural Style: Folk Victorian District: St. John’s Church This warehouse is attached to the Pohlig Brothers Building, built in 1853, at 2405—2419 East Franklin Street. It was threatened by demolition in 2000 and has since been renovated as an apartment building with business and retContinue Reading...

Sep 17

Elmira Shelton House

Year Built: 1844 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: St. John’s Church This was the home of Elmira Shelton, Edgar Allan Poe’s childhood sweetheart. They became engaged here just two weeks before Poe’s death in Baltimore. Historic Richmond gave funds to the purchase and restoration of this house in 1957-1958, and it served as the headquarters of Historic Continue Reading...

Sep 17

St. John’s Mews Garden

Year Built: 1965 District: St. John’s Church The Mews was created in 1965 as a community garden through the collaboration of Historic Richmond and the Garden Club of Virginia. It includes a granite spall-paved alley, a cast—iron summer house and a brick wall with five panels of cast iron. Some of the cast iron was Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Harwood House

Year Built: 1869 Architectural Style: Italianate District: St. John’s Church This house boasts an excellent example of an ornate, cast-iron porch possibly made in a local foundry. Original dependencies survive behind Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Carrington House

Year Built: 1813 Architectural Style: Federal District: St. John’s Church The first house built on the 2300 block. It is Richmond’s only surviving bowfront house from the early 1800s. It was the home of Richmond mapmaker and city surveyor, Micajah Bates, from 18Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Hilary Baker House

Year Built: 1813 Architectural Style: Federal District: St. John’s Church Built by Hilary Baker, the first-story windows were lengthened for the addition of a Victorian veranda, which was subsequently removed. Note massive and unique chimneys and original dependencContinue Reading...

Sep 17

Hardgrove House

Year Built: 1849 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: St. John’s Church Built by Thomas Hardgrove. Original outbuildings and garden wall survive. Preserved two—story servants’ quarters are one of best examples inContinue Reading...

Sep 17

Richmond Hill

Year Built: begun 1810 Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival and Italianate District: St. John’s Church Richard Adams developed the land around 1788. The Palmer-Taylor House was built in 1859. Sisters of the Visitation of Mary established a convent called Monte Maria from 1866-1987, adding the Chapel of Sacred Heart in the 1890s. In 1987, it became Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Carrington Row

Year Built: 1818 Architectural Style: Neo-Classical District: St. John’s Church Built by the three sons of Ann Adams Carrington, it is the earliest existing example of connected row houses in Richmond. The facade is brick covered with stucco to simulate stone. The differing entrances reflect style changes made over the years: Federal, Greek Revival, and Continue Reading...

Sep 17

The Pilot Block

District: St. John’s Church The block chosen for Historic Richmond’s Church Hill revitalization program in 1956 was given the name “the pilot block.” Within ten years, all of the buildings in the block bounded by 23rd, 24th Broad and Grace streets were restored. It clearly illustrates the variety of styles found within the neiContinue Reading...