Oct 10

511 W. Marshall Street

Year Built: c. 1855 Architectural Style: Greek Revival with an Italianate porch District: Jackson Ward When 511 W. Marshall Street was listed on the City’s Imminent Danger List for demolition in fall 2013, due to multiple code violations, Historic Richmond stepped in to see how we could help. Our friend, Bill Davis, of William J. Davis Continue Reading...

Oct 9

Marburg

Year Built: 1889 Architectural Style: Elements of Free Classic Queen Anne, Folk Victorian, and Colonial Revival District: Carillon neighborhood Built in 1889, Marburg is the oldest standing residence in the Byrd Park/Carillon/Maymont area. Maymont itself would not be completed for another 4 years. In early newspaper reports it was consistently referred to as a “handsome”, Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Patteson-Schutte House

Year Built: c. late 1750s District: Forest Hill Located in the historic Forest Hill area of Southside Richmond, the Patteson-Schutte House is the oldest frame structure in the city. Believed to have been built sometime after 1750 as a part of the William Byrd II estate, Historic Richmond saved this property from demolition in 2006 when it Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Montrose

Year Built: c. 1898 Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival District: Hermitage Road Historic District Built by Edmund Strud­wick, the movement to save this house from demolition led to the creation of the Hermitage Road Historic DistricContinue Reading...

Sep 18

Byrd Park Pump House

Year Built: 1882 Architectural Style:  Gothic Revival Located in Pump House/Three Mile Lock Park This stone building served two purposes: as a pumping station to take water from the James River to the Byrd Park reservoir and as an open-air, public dance hall. The dance floor was located on the second floor above the pump room. Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Superintendent’s House

Year Built: 1894 Architectural Style: Queen Anne District: Hollywood Cemetery [Entrance] Wirt Chesterman designed this house to replace an older structure used by the cemetery superintendent. The house was built for $4,000. It was slated for demolition after it had fallen into disrepair. Historic Richmond facilitated the renovation of the building by finding a developer and lending Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Smith-Palmer House

Year Built: 1852 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street Richmond’s Greek Revival townhouse architecture at its most refined is well illustrated in the Smith-Palmer House. It is a three-story, three-bay brick structure and is remarkable for its exceptionally fine interior trim and for its high-quality craftsmanship. The house has a standard Georgian-derived Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Susan V. Joynes House

Year Built: c. 1885 Architectural Style: originally Queen Anne District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street In its original form the house was probably similar in style to the Bruce House next door. However, the architectural character of the Joynes House has been radically changed through subsequent alteration. Now, with its stuccoed walls, mansard roof, and simple Continue Reading...

Sep 18

208 – 212 W. Franklin St., formerly The Price House

Year Built: c. 1805 Architectural Style: Second Empire District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street This was originally Tucker Hospital.  Greatly expanded over time, the original building is located in the center section. Most of the exterior dates from the 1880s. Later additions include the mansard roof. It was renovated in Continue Reading...

Sep 18

T. Seddon Bruce House

Year Built: 1885 Architectural Style: Queen Anne District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street The exterior displays the variety of ornamentation that was popular during the Victorian era. The interior retains many original features including mantels and a massive staircase. It is now a professionContinue Reading...

Sep 18

A. S. Smith House

Year Built: c. 1870s Architectural Style: Late-Victorian District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street This medium-sized townhouse was once plentiful in downtown Richmond. The dignified but not individually distinguished dwelling forms an important visual link between the Cole Digges House and the former main building of Tucker’s Sanitorium. In addition, the house adds architectural variety to a Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Mayo-Carter House

Year Built: 1895 Architectural Style: Beaux Arts District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street This  house was designed by New York  architects Carrere & Hastings, the  same architects who designed the nearby Jefferson Hotel. It is fully restored and is now the headquarters of the Junior League ofContinue Reading...

Sep 18

Cole Digges House

Year Built: c. 1805 Architectural Style: Federal District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street The house takes its name from the builder, Revolutionary War veteran Cole Digges. It serves as the headquar­ters of Preservation Virginia. The porch was added in 1850. It is the oldest house on Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Ida Schoolcraft House

Year Built: 1875 Architectural Style: Second Empire District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street This building is a two-and-a-half-stories by three-bay brick structure with a bell-cast mansard roof covered with colored patterned slates.The entrance is framed by a round arch with keystone and is sheltered by a projecting flat roof forming a small second story balcony supported Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Queen Anne Row

Year Built: 1891   Architectural Style: Queen Anne District: 200 Block W. Franklin Street This section of row houses, built in 1891, are reminiscent of San Francisco. Exuberant turrets and bays contrast with the more somber Greek Revival houses of the area. The buildings were saved from demolition and are now aContinue Reading...

Sep 18

Christian House

Year Built: 1886 Architecture Style: Italianate District: Commonwealth Club in the Monroe Ward area Edward Christian was a New Market Cadet and graduated from Virginia Military Institute in 1867. He came back to Richmond to run Richmond Paper Manufacturing.  This house has lost its original cornice and the entrance has lost its original porch detailing otherwise Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Allen Double House

Headquarters of Historic Richmond Year Built: 1836 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Zero Blocks East & West Franklin District in the Monroe Ward area Built by William Allen, it is one of the earliest buildings in Monroe Ward and was renovated in 2000 as part of Historic Richmond’s mission to revitalize Monroe Ward. Historic Richmond’s headquarters Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Linden Row

Year Built: 1847 and 1853 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Linden Row in the Monroe Ward area Linden Row is an extraordinary example of row houses. Originally it contained ten houses, but two houses at the east end were torn down to make room for an office building. Those remaining were saved by preservationist Mary Wingfield Continue Reading...

Sep 18

National Theater

Year Built: 1922 Architectural Style: Italian Renaissance Revival District: Broad Street This theater is located outside of the Broad Street Historic District. It features an Italianate exterior with Adamesque interior. C.K. Howell was the architect. The interior plaster work was done by Ferruccio Legnaioli. Historic Richmond and Preservation Virginia purchased and saved the building from demolition Continue Reading...

Sep 18

617 St. Peter Street

Year Built: c. 1880 Architectural Style: Victorian District: Jackson Ward 617 St. Peter Street is a contributing structure in the Jackson Ward Historic District listed on the Virginia Register and the National Register of Historic Places.  Part of a streetscape of Victorian dwellings, it’s design dates it to the late 19th century.  A Victorian townhouse, Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Goddin-Taylor House

Year Built: c. 1820 Architectural Style: Federal District: Jackson Ward The Goddin-Taylor House is one of the oldest houses in Jackson Ward and illustrates beautifully the typical development of a Richmond townhouse starting from a 2-room Federal style dwelling, with subsequent Greek Revival, Italianate and Queen Anne additions. In 1978, Historic Richmond purchased and restored the Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Tucker Cottage

Year Built: 1798 Architectural Style: Colonial District: Jackson Ward Originally located at 612 North 3rd Street, this is one of few gambrel-roofed cottages left in the city. It was moved in 2004 to 701 Chamberlayne Parkway in order to save it from demolition. Once in extreme disrepair, this cottage is now a great example of middle-class Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Monumental Church

Year Built: 1812-1814 Architectural Style: Neo-Classical On December 26, 1811, a fire at the Richmond Theatre claimed the lives of over seventy-two people, including the governor. Robert Mills, America’s first native-born, professional architect and a student of Thomas Jefferson, designed Monumental Church to be built on the theater site. The church is an unusual octagonal form Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Stewart-Lee House

Year Built: 1844 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Capitol Square Built by wealthy merchant Norman Stewart, this house was occupied by Robert E. Lee’s family during a portion of the Civil War. Once part of a row of town houses in a residential neighborhood, this is the lone survivor, standing amongst mid 20th-century buildings today. Historic Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Morson’s Row

Year Built: 1853 Architectural Style: Italianate District: Capitol Square Built as rental property by James Morson, this row of bowfront town houses is the only remaining evidence of the residential neighborhood that once surrounded Capitol Square. The buildings now contain statContinue Reading...

Sep 18

Old City Hall

Year Built: 1887-1894 Architectural Style: High Victorian Gothic District: Capitol Square In complete contrast to Jefferson’s calm, classical Capitol, architect Elijah E. Meyers designed this paean to Victorian architecture. The interior is as highly decorated as the exterior and contains cast-iron stairs and arcades made by Richmonder  Asa Snyder. Threatened by demolition in the 1970s, the building Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Belle Bossieux Building

Year Built: 1878 Architectural Style: Italianate District: Tobacco Row Built by Edmund Bossieux and named for his wife, Belle. Shops and restaurants are located below the cast-iron gallery with living space above. This building’s restoration was partially financed by Historic Richmond to serve as a catalyst for revitalization in ShockContinue Reading...

Sep 18

Pace-King House

Year Built: 1860 Architectural Style: Italianate District: Shockoe Valley Built by Charles Hill, this house is named for occupants James B. Pace in the 1870s and Mrs. Jane King in the 1880s and ‘90s. Note cast-iron veranda and fence, made locally. The two-story, urban-style slave quarters in the rear were built in 1860 on the eve Continue Reading...

Sep 18

523 N. 28th Street

Year Built: 1895 Architectural Style: Vernacular Italianate District: Church Hill North  The main cornice of number 523 is a pleasant once with nicely detailed ornamental brackets between its flat panels. Above the panels is a row of elongated dentils. Below the cornice are handsomely fitted single and double windows that echo the dentils and brackets in Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Susannah Walker House

Year Built: 1860 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Church Hill North  The 500 block has an impressive row of similar houses. They are among the last Greek Revival houses built on Church Hill North as evidenced by the entrancContinue Reading...

Sep 18

Joseph Watts House

Year Built: 1855 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Church Hill North  It is interesting that the house was built in a style usually found much earlier. It has fastidios stretcher brickwork. It was subsequently owned by William Folkes.  In January, 1983, when Historic Richmond purchased the property to ensure its preservation, the original servants’ quarters were still Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Nelson Turnley House

Year Built: 1853 Architectural Style: Greek Revival with Victorian additions District: Church Hill North  Mr. Turnley was a custodian at the Medical College, and later a tobacconist and land developer. The house was built as a three-bay building with a side-hall plan. In the last decades of the nineteenth century, the house was extended to the south Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Billups Houses

Year Built: c. 1884 Architectural Style: Queen Anne District: Church Hill North Both houses, 601 and 603, are presumed to have been built soon after 1884, when one of them was constructed by Robert Sims. Both were owned by Charles Jackson Billups, who operated the Billups Funeral Home at 2500 E. Marshall St. Number 601 is called Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Hiram Oliver Double House

Year Built: 1860 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Church Hill North Hiram Oliver was a large-scale builder in the district. During the antebellum period, speculative building became the norm. Oliver was manager of T. C. Williams, a tobacco manufacturer, and also the first treasurer of the local Masonic Lodge. The house remained in his name until 1942. Continue Reading...

Sep 18

James Parkinson House

James Parkinson House, c. 1818 Architectural Style: Federal District: Church Hill North Parkinson was a clerk at Rocketts, the port of Richmond. The present porch is a Victorian alteration. Flemish-bond brick with very simple flat arches over the window reflects the Federal period. This house with its rear addition is one of the more interesting structures Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Francis V. Sutton House

Year Built: c. 1858 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Church Hill North The small front porch on this house is one of the earliest example of the Renaissance Revival style in Richmond. The high retaining wall, which abuts the herringbone-pattern sidewalk, protects theContinue Reading...

Sep 18

Reuben Ford House

Year Built: 1855 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Church Hill North The house is named after the first pastor of the Leigh Street Baptist Church. This is a typical Greek Revival house with a shallow hipped roof, large windows, and a small entrance porch. The flat chimney on the side of the house is found occasionally throughout Continue Reading...

Sep 18

418, 420 N. 27th Street

Year Built: 1896 Architectural Style: Vernacular District: Church Hill North  The quadruple house at 414-420 has retained much of its original porch with the cornice, turned posts, and varied brackets typical of its era. It is interesting to note that in front of these houses is a well-preserved stretch of herringbone brick paving. This type of Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Wills Store

Year Built: c. 1813 Architectural Style: Federal District: Church Hill North Between 1813 and 1815, Charles Wills, captain of the local Camp Holly Militia, built a unique, two-story brick store at 401 N. 27th Street. Wills at one time owned the entire block and resided at 407 N. 27th Street. He opened the first grocery store Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Wills House

Year Built: 1812 Architectural Style: Federal District: Church Hill North The largest existing frame house in the district was the home of a wealthy and prominent merchant, Captain Charles Wills. It is the oldest house remaining in Church Hill North. The survival of so many of the original beaded boards is remarkable. The house was restored Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Payne House

Year Built: c. 1880 Architectural Style: Victorian District: Church Hill North The cornice is beautifully detailed and its white paint allows the details to be seen very easily in the natural light. All the windows and front door have well-crafted segmental arches consisting of segmental lintels and a central keystone. The porch cornice is ornamented with Continue Reading...

Sep 18

C. L. Denoon Double House

Year Built: 1889 Architectural Style: Vernacular Italianate District: Church Hill North This house is somewhat similar to other double houses in Richmond; however, its use of double windows on both floors and the actual space between the two houses at the first-floor level is unusual. A typical Italianate cornice with brackets, dentils, and ornamented panels cap Continue Reading...

Sep 18

2708-2710 E. Leigh Street

Year Built: 1888-1890 Architectural Style: Queen Anne District: Church Hill North Built by the Billups family as rental property.  It has a floor plan that includes corner porches with details and materials found in few Church Hill houses. Fortunately, the posts and ornamental lattice have survived. Typical of the turn of the century, the upper Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Frederick Elliott House

Year Built: 1847 Architectural Style: Italianate District: Church Hill North The house was built in 1847 with additional improvements in 1874 by Elliot. It is an elegant frame, Italianate townhouse with an exceptionally pleasant Eastlake front porch with very tall windows rising from the floor. The first-floor windows are framed with full-length louvered shutters, a rare Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Andrew Gentry Double House

Year Built: 1847 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Church Hill North   The double house at number 2605-2607, built by Andrew Gentry, is a rare example of all stretched-bond construction. A few headers do occur in the seventh course from the ground and may have supported an earlier porch.  Its brickwork, cornice, porches, and all but Continue Reading...

Sep 18

2703 E. Clay Street

Year Built: 1880 Architectural Style: Italianate District: Church Hill North The double house at 2703 has an original cornice with panels, ornamental brackets, and dentils. Both houses have transoms over their front doors with modern stained glass. The eye-catching porch railing at 2703 is distinctive. These frame buildings are attractive examples of the late nineteenth-century Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Hiram Oliver House

Year Built: 1848 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Union Hill Built in 1848 by Hiram Oliver, a real estate investor and tobacco merchant, this house is a vernacular example of the Greek Revival style. Its brick exterior, gabled roof, side gallery and entrance portico are characteristic of structures built in Union Hill during the antebellum era. Continue Reading...

Sep 18

Richard D. Mitchell House

Year Built: c. 1841 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: Union Hill   A farmhouse pre-dating not only the Civil War but the mid-19th century “suburban” development of Union Hill as well. It was condemned by the City as derelict. In 1978, Historic Richmond secured and placed preservation easements on the property, and found an owner to Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Woodward House

Year Built: c. 1784 Architectural Style: Vernacular District: Woodward House-Rocketts  Located below Libby Hill Park and Church Hill, this house is the last surviving structure from the once-bustling port of Rocketts Landing. Enlarged over the years from a two-room cottage, the house is believed to incorporate one of the oldest frame dwellings in the city. The Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Mann-Netherwood Block

Year Built: 1895-1901 Architectural Style: Queen Anne District: St. John’s Church The houses were built by business partners John Mann and James Netherwood. The common garden in the back is owned by the homeowners’ association. Note the cast-iron fence and patterned bricks. In 1975, Historic Richmond purchased 2601-2613. Historic Richmond restored the exteriors, subdivided the property, Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Adams Double House

Year Built: 1809 Architectural Style: Federal District: St. John’s Church The earliest surviving double house in Richmond; built by Dr. John Adams, who helped initiate development in this area through his real estate holdings. The porches are Victorian additions as is the shop entrance in the baseContinue Reading...

Sep 17

Morris Cottage

Year Built: 1830 Architectural Style: Federal District: St. John’s Church This house is one of three cottages built by carpenter John Morris. The two other cottages are also located in this block. Morris lived in the cottage at 207 North 25Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Superior Warehouse

Year Built: c. 1850 Architectural Style: Folk Victorian District: St. John’s Church This warehouse is attached to the Pohlig Brothers Building, built in 1853, at 2405—2419 East Franklin Street. It was threatened by demolition in 2000 and has since been renovated as an apartment building with business and retContinue Reading...

Sep 17

Elmira Shelton House

Year Built: 1844 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: St. John’s Church This was the home of Elmira Shelton, Edgar Allan Poe’s childhood sweetheart. They became engaged here just two weeks before Poe’s death in Baltimore. Historic Richmond gave funds to the purchase and restoration of this house in 1957-1958, and it served as the headquarters of Historic Continue Reading...

Sep 17

St. John’s Mews Garden

Year Built: 1965 District: St. John’s Church The Mews was created in 1965 as a community garden through the collaboration of Historic Richmond and the Garden Club of Virginia. It includes a granite spall-paved alley, a cast—iron summer house and a brick wall with five panels of cast iron. Some of the cast iron was Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Harwood House

Year Built: 1869 Architectural Style: Italianate District: St. John’s Church This house boasts an excellent example of an ornate, cast-iron porch possibly made in a local foundry. Original dependencies survive behind Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Carrington House

Year Built: 1813 Architectural Style: Federal District: St. John’s Church The first house built on the 2300 block. It is Richmond’s only surviving bowfront house from the early 1800s. It was the home of Richmond mapmaker and city surveyor, Micajah Bates, from 18Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Hilary Baker House

Year Built: 1813 Architectural Style: Federal District: St. John’s Church Built by Hilary Baker, the first-story windows were lengthened for the addition of a Victorian veranda, which was subsequently removed. Note massive and unique chimneys and original dependencContinue Reading...

Sep 17

Hardgrove House

Year Built: 1849 Architectural Style: Greek Revival District: St. John’s Church Built by Thomas Hardgrove. Original outbuildings and garden wall survive. Preserved two—story servants’ quarters are one of best examples inContinue Reading...

Sep 17

Richmond Hill

Year Built: begun 1810 Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival and Italianate District: St. John’s Church Richard Adams developed the land around 1788. The Palmer-Taylor House was built in 1859. Sisters of the Visitation of Mary established a convent called Monte Maria from 1866-1987, adding the Chapel of Sacred Heart in the 1890s. In 1987, it became Continue Reading...

Sep 17

Carrington Row

Year Built: 1818 Architectural Style: Neo-Classical District: St. John’s Church Built by the three sons of Ann Adams Carrington, it is the earliest existing example of connected row houses in Richmond. The facade is brick covered with stucco to simulate stone. The differing entrances reflect style changes made over the years: Federal, Greek Revival, and Continue Reading...

Sep 17

The Pilot Block

District: St. John’s Church The block chosen for Historic Richmond’s Church Hill revitalization program in 1956 was given the name “the pilot block.” Within ten years, all of the buildings in the block bounded by 23rd, 24th Broad and Grace streets were restored. It clearly illustrates the variety of styles found within the neiContinue Reading...

May 16

Meredith House

Year Built: c. 1813 Architectural Style: Federal District: Jackson Ward Located at 133 West Jackson Street, it is the second oldest house in Jackson Ward and was built for and by William Mann, who also built the Hawes house on nearby Leigh Street. The original part of the house is a commodious two-story, frame building designed Continue Reading...